Abortion Methods

How is a termination of pregnancy carried out?

AbortionMethods.net

How is a termination of pregnancy carried out?

In this article, we wanted to talk about the medical methods of termination of pregnancy. Which method is suitable for the pregnancy termination procedure depends primarily on your age, the indication and possible pre-existing conditions. Your doctor or nurse will discuss the options with you and weigh what is best for you.

Basically, there are two medical methods of abortion, surgical and medical. Surgery may be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia, depending on whether you want to be conscious of the abort or not. For some women, the conscious experience of the intervention is helpful to better process the demolition later. For others, this is too stressful and a general anesthetic the better option.

The most common method is the suction. The embryo and uterine lining are aspirated through a tube. Overall, the process takes only about ten to fifteen minutes. Most surgical discontinuations are made on an outpatient basis. This means that you can go home after a rest period accompanied by a friend.

By the end of the ninth week of pregnancy a termination can also be carried out by medication. For the mother’s body, this method is much gentler, but mentally but all the more burdening, because it is a rather lengthy process, the woman in all phases consciously witnessed. In case of discontinuation through medication, the product Mifegyne is used, which you only receive in the pharmacy and may only be taken under strict medical supervision. The active ingredient mifepristone inhibits the action of progesterone necessary to maintain pregnancy and results in an opening of the cervix. After the first use of the drug, you may leave the doctor’s office once again. In some women, menstruation-like hemorrhage sets in one day later, lasting up to 14 days. After 36 to 48 hours you will receive from your gynecologist another drug in the form of tablets or suppositories, called prostaglandins. These hormones cause the uterus to contract and expel the mucous membrane and embryo. In most cases, this happens within three hours, so you should stay in the field for observation.

Does not do anything despite the medication, the doctor can once again administer prostaglandins. In about 98% of all cases, this medical method leads to a complete abortion. Unfortunately for the remaining 2% the demolition must still be operational.

What are the abortion risks ?

As with any other surgery, there are risks associated with surgical termination of pregnancy. In practice, however, this is very rare. Possible infections and secondary bleeding, which can normally be treated well if they are detected early. There is also the risk that tissue, such as the uterus, injured or anesthetic intolerance occurs.

Prostaglandins can cause side effects such as pelvic pain, nausea, gastrointestinal discomfort, and rebleeding in the abortion drug.

Add comment